Murmillo-Archiv

Montag, 19. August 2013

PHRASEOLOGISCHE VERBEN: MENGE 298: PROF. DR. CHRYSTAL SCHWARZENBERGER GIVING A HARD LESSON

Hi, may I introduce myself. I'm Prof. Chrysal Schwarzenberger from the University of Berkeley (California). I am a professor for Latin philology and I'm proud to give Latin lessons on "murmillo".
You find a picture of me and a little clip about the genitive case on "youtube"!
Today, I'd like to talk about a really hard problem. It is what you call in German "phraseologische Verben". Sorry, although being a descendant of German immigrants, my German isn't that good.
O.k., let's get started: The "phraseologische Verben" tell you how the subject takes part in an action. The relation (between the two) shall become clear as much as possible. In Latin the power is in the verb. The perception (cognition) is left to the reader, whereas in German it is brought to daylight.
In German you use therefore, as far as I know, difficult words like "können, müssen, wollen, sollen, dürfen, lassen, 'wissen', brauchen". I give you some "nice" examples:
hoc unum dico=I just want to tell you this
non audio=I don't want to hear s.th of this
parvo contentus est=he knows how to be satisfied with little
(This man has got to be a philosopher!)
fateor=I must confess
inde facile intellegitur=from this you can easily recognize
spero=I may hope
cogor=I realize that I'm forced; in German: "ich sehe mich ge-no-tigt"; was this correct or is it "genötigt"?
deceptus sum=I feel deceived; "ich sehe mich ge-tauscht"?
dictis tuis laedor=I feel hurt by your words
adducor=I feel bound to to s.th; I feel induced to...; "ich fühle mich be-wogen"
trahor/ feror ad=I feel attracted to; "hin-ge-zo-gen"; oh dear, that's really hard for me!
Well, in this paragraph (298) you'll find a whole lot of good examples on this topic.
Every evening, before going to sleep, I eagerly read in the "HERMANN MENGE: REPETITORIUM DER LATEINISCHEN SYNTAX UND STILISTIK". You should do the same!
One last example:
animo commoveor=I feel moved in my mind (I am commoted); "ich fuh-le mich innerlich er-griffen".-
That exactly describes the feeling when I read Latin texts.

O.k., dear pupils, that's it for today. Keep all those examples in your (little) mind. Sorry, a joke! And never back down when it's getting hard. You know: "Winners don' quit and quitters don't win!"
---
Have a good time!
Your Prof. Chrystal Schwarzenberger




Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen